Today is Blue Monday, which is said to be the most depressing day of the year. Supposedly, it has been calculated by considering factors such as weather conditions, time since failing our new year’s resolutions and low motivational levels. The idea falls into the pseudoscience category. It is more of a theory than anything else, and there is little supporting evidence. However, there are undoubtedly individuals who will insist there is some truth to it.
Personally, I’m not sure either way. As a rule, I think winter can be difficult in general. The short days, cold weather and the lack of colour in the world can easily make it a miserable time of year, so happy thoughts are needed regardless.
Here are 25.
1. If Blue Monday is tripping you up, just keep in mind that it’s one day. That day is now here, which means it will soon be over. Then, it will be a whole year before you have to face it again!
2. If this is the most depressing day of the year, then the only way is up, right?
3. You’ve already made it through several other Blue Mondays. You can handle this one, too.
4. There are brighter days ahead – full of fresh flowers and sunshine.
5. It’s okay to slow down – nobody is 100% motivated all of the time.
6. If you’ve neglected your resolutions, go and read this post about the pressures of the New Year and remember there’s all year to make positive changes in your life.
7. There are still sunrises and sunsets in winter, and they’re just as beautiful.
8. You can make your own sunshine. My trick is googling pictures of sunflowers.
9. Baby giggles.
10. You can go on YouTube RIGHT now and search for funny cat videos – your day will instantly improve.
11. Climbing into bed and wrapping yourself in the duvet to stay cosy is a nice feeling.
12. Hot chocolate. It’s kind of a necessity at this time of year.
13. You are loved, more than you’ll ever know.
14. Someone, somewhere, instantly feels happy at the thought of your existence.
16. You will eat your favourite foods so many more times in your life.
17. There are beautiful books, stunning songs and magical movies still to be discovered.
18. Hundreds of new trees grow each year because of squirrels forgetting where they hid their nuts.
19. Someone, somewhere is having the best day of their life. Today might not be your day, but one day will.
21. We own pieces of technology people only dreamed of centuries ago.
22. Seahorses pick partners for life and travel holding each other’s tails.
23. Thanks to social media, every one of us has the potential to instantly communicate with someone on the other side of the world and make them smile.
24. Smiling is a lovely free gift to give and also receive.