1. “Christmas waves a magic wand over this world, and behold, everything is softer and more beautiful.” – Norman Vincent Peale
For me, there is an undeniable charm around Christmas. Everything feels more magical. Between fairy lights and cosy nights, there’s a certain feeling which makes everything seem wonderful.
2. “One of the most glorious messes in the world is the mess created in the living room on Christmas Day. Don’t clean it up too quickly.” – Andy Rooney
Wrapping paper scattered everywhere, sweet wrappers, cardboard boxes. On any other day of the year, it would just be a mess. On Christmas Day, however, it’s a sign of a good time.
Those amongst us (myself included) who prefer things on the tidy side may be quick to clean it up and restore order. But we shouldn’t probably learn to enjoy the chaos and what it represents.
3. “Love the giver more than the gift.” – Brigham Young
This is what we should always remember. No matter how incredible the gift is, it’s the person behind it we need to appreciate. Be sure to take the opportunity to thank them.
4. “Gifts of time and love are surely the basic ingredients of a truly merry Christmas.” – Peg Bracken
What makes Christmas such a special time of year is the way everyone comes together. There are so many opportunities to spend time together. Putting up the decorations. Going Christmas shopping. Seeing the city lights get switched on. Cuddling under blankets and watching festive films. Wrapping presents. Lots of little chances to make memories.
Not only that, but people go out of their way to be home for Christmas – even if they can’t make it back at any other point in the year. Those are things money can’t buy, and the foundation of Christmas.
5. “Christmas isn’t a season. It’s a feeling.” – Edna Ferber
I imagine most, if not all, of us have said “it feels like Christmas!” Perhaps as the days get colder, or when we’re really excited about something. There’s no other word to describe it. There’s just a certain feeling inside of us that we associate with December 25th.
6. “When we recall Christmas past, we usually find that the simplest things – not the great occasions – give off the greatest glow of happiness.” – Bob Hope
You may look back at previous Christmases, and recall with fondness an item you received. If you look a little closer, though, it’s probably more so the fact someone put the effort into getting you something you REALLY wanted. Whether your parents scrimped and scraped to get you a bike, or your friends all joined forces to get you something special, that’s where the magic lies.
7. “I don’t think Christmas is necessarily about things. It’s about being good to one another.” – Carrie Fisher
As much as I enjoy receiving presents, the absolute best part of Christmas for me is getting presents for other people. I love it when I find something I’m sure they’ll love. I love watching the smile spread across their face as they peel back the wrapping paper. The thing itself doesn’t matter as such, but being able to share a little happiness with my favourite people is delightful. That’s the spirit of Christmas.
8. “At Christmas, play and make good cheer, for Christmas comes but once a year.” – Thomas Tusser
We may find ourselves wishing Christmas was an all year round event, or that we got another go in June. Yet, it probably wouldn’t be half as special if that were the case. We get one Christmas every year, to switch off from everything else going on in our lives, to let our hair down and to just have fun. Make the most of every second.